Biology of Cells
- B. Alberts et al (2008) 5th Edition, Molecular Biology of the Cell, Garland
- J.M. Berg (2006) 6th Edition, Biochemistry, Freeman
- A.J.F. Griffith et al (2004) 8th Edition An introduction to Genetic Analysis, Freeman
- the Faculty of Biology website
- Alberts et al (2003)Essential Cell Biology, 2nd Edition (Garland)
Some familiarity with the following broad topics would be an advantage in the first part of the Michaelmas Term: Microscopic examination of cells; Comparative (plant, animal and microbial) cell structure; Cellules as compartments (mitochondria. chloroplasts. nucleus); Basic membrane structures.
- PW Atkins, Molecules, Scientific American
- J Keeler & P Wothers, Why Chemical Reactions Happen, O.U.P.
- Dewdney, A Kee, The new Turing omnibus, Computer Sciences Press 1993 (reprinted 2001, Henry Holt)
- Körner, Tom W, The Pleasures of Counting, C.U.P. (1996)
- Preparing to study Computer Science
- Davidson, J et al, Exploring the Earth, Prentice-Hall
- Dickey, JS, On the Rocks: Earth Science for everyone, Wiley
- Knou, A.H, Life on a Young Planet, Princeton Univ Press
- MacDougall, JD, A short history of planet Earth, Wiley
- Van Andel, TJH, New Views on an Old Planet, C.U.P
Evolution and Behaviour
- MS Dawkins, Through our eyes only?, O.U.P
- R Dawkins, The Blind Watchmaker, O.U.P
- J Diamond, The Rise and Fall of the Third Chimpanzee, Vintage
- S Jones, In the Blood, Harper/Collins
- L Margulis, The Symbiotic Planet: A new look at evolution, Weidenfield/Nicholson
- Baillie, C and Vanasupa, L, Navigating the Material World, Academic Press
- Gordon, JE, New Science of Strong Materials, Penguin
- Braithwaite and Weaver, Electronic Materials, Butterworth
- Ashby, MF and Johnson, K, Materials and Design, Butterworth
- Hazen, RM, The Diamond Makers, CUP
- Materials Science 2010-11 leaflet
- R.P. Feyman, The Character of Physical Law, Penguin
- T. Hey & P. Walters, The Quantum Universe, C.U.P.
- J. Walker, The Flying Circus of Physics, John Wiley & Sons
- Bill Bryson, A Short History of Nearly Everything, Transworld.Doubleday
- T. Ferris, Coming of Age in the Milky Way, Anchor/Doubleday
- G. Gamow. (Ed. R. Stannard), The New World of Mr Tompkins, C.U.P.
Any of these books can be dipped into for pure enjoyment. Most should be available in libraries – we don’t expect you either to buy them or to learn anything specific.
Physiology of Organisms
- King, J, Reaching for the sun, C.U.P.
- Widmaier, EP, Why Geese don’t get obese (and we do), W. H. Freeman
- McGowan, C, Diatoms to Dinosaurs, The size and scale of living things, Penguin
- Walker, D, Energy, Plants and Man, Oxigraphics. (Available from the author: download or CD at firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Bondi, C, New Applications of Mathematics, Penguin
- Sivia, DS & Rawlings, SG, Foundations of Science Mathematics, O.U.P.
- Maor, E, To Infinity and Beyond, Princeton
- Hofstadter, D, Godel, Escher and Bach, Penguin
- Hall, N (ed.), The New Scientist Guide to Chaos, Penguin
- Huff, D, How to Lie with Statistics, Pelican
- Foster, PC, Easy Mathematics for Biologists, Harwood
- Rowntree, D, Statistics without Tears, Penguin
- Eason G, Coles CW & Getingby G, Mathematics and Statistics for the Biosciences, Ellis-Horwood
- Rowntree, D, Statistics without Tears – a Primer for Non-Mathematicians, Penguin